A Madison Environmental and Civil Rights Law Firm
Garvey McNeil & Associates, S.C. is a Madison, Wisconsin-
based public interest law firm. Garvey McNeil & Associates was
founded in 1992 on the belief that all lawyers have a duty to society
that goes beyond their own self-interest. We represent clients in federal
and state court litigation, and before government agencies, on a wide
range of public interest issues, including: Environment and Safe Energy;
Open Government Laws (FOIA); Constitutional Rights and Civil Liberties;
Political Rights; and Employee Rights.
Our reputation is built on successfully litigating difficult cases against powerful opponents.
- We represent employees in a variety of matters they may face, such as job loss, discrimination, family and medical leave benefits, or severance agreement negotiations.
- We shut down dirty coal plants, stopped the construction of polluting plants, and cleaned up other plants that were not complying with the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act.
- We stopped a toxic mining process that would have contaminated a critical state scenic river. On many occasions, we've forced the Environmental Protection Agency, Department of Natural Resources, Department of Environmental Quality and other agencies to obey their obligations to protect the air and water.
- We enforced Constitutional Rights in a class action lawsuit against the Department of Corrections at the Wisconsin "Supermax" prison.
- We stopped attempts to site factory farms and chemical plants where they would have threatened public health and the environment.
- We represented a State Senator in a successful defamation case against campaign smear tactics by outside special interest groups.
- We've fought attempts by state, local and federal governments to hide documents or keep the public from finding out about meeting by enforcing the Freedom of Information Act and state open meetings and records laws.